Wednesday 6 July 2011

Storecupboard Challenge Day 4 - Chicken Curry


I adore all styles of curry but have always found Indian curry a bit daunting and when I have made them i'm often dissapointed with the results. However I made chicken dhansak at school a few weeks back and it was lovely so I feel a bit more confident now.

I threw this together in about 10 minutes and it is utterly delicious and totally unauthentic. With the ingredients I have this week I could have also made roti and onion bhaji and I will be making these next week. It was a lovely way to use up the leftover chicken and I made it healthier by adding some spinach, chickpeas and also the courgettes that my neighbour gave me.


Chicken and chickpea curry

1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 thumb sized piece of ginger
1/2 green chilli
some coriander stalks
  • whizz all of the above up in a food processor
2 chicken breasts, chopped or leftover chicken
2 tbsp medium curry powder
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp tomato puree
100g chopped tomatoes
1 courgette, chopped
handful of spinach
1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
100ml coconut milk
200ml stock or water
fresh coriander, chopped

1) In a large frying pan fry the chicken then add the ginger etc that you have whizzed up and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
2) Add the courgettes and chickpeas and cook for a few minutes more. Now add the curry powder and cook out for a minute or so, then add the flour and tomato puree and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes and stock. You should have a thick consistency. Add the coconut milk and spinach and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Season with salt if needed and add some fresh chopped coriander. If the curry isn't thick enough, increase the heat and reduce the sauce. Serve with plain boiled rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment